Thursday, September 17, 2009

Internet Based 3D Virtual Worlds

Second life is very interesting. It is a unique way to socialize as well as creating an imaginative world for you. However, unlike World of Warcraft where you pay monthly to keep an account, at Second Life you pay for items, to create items, to accessorize, as well as creating and maintaining your world. I think it would be a wonderful experience, but for me, you would have to be very wealthy or do not care where your money goes to.

As for the technology it is well created. People do look like people, however you still look doll-like in a sense. I understand you can visit other places in the world, especially historical, however for the library i do not see the connection of vising online, and coming inside through the real world.

I understand that people can come together, collaborate, and think of ideas or give opinions, but that is part of the library. Most of our service and money comes from people who use our service. I do know you can check out items online, but coming inside the library, looking at items while your there, and using our resources is a lot better than a virtual world.

No comments:

Post a Comment